In this episode we interview Valerie Khoo.
Valerie Khoo is CEO of the Australian Writers’ Centre, the country’s leading centre for writing courses. Over the past 10 years, more than 26,000 students have graduated from courses at the centre. Graduates score book deals, become freelance writers for magazines and enhance their writing skills so they get promotions at work.
Valerie is also a journalist, small business commentator and podcaster. She is author of the bestselling book “Power Stories: The 8 Stories You MUST Tell to Build an Epic Business” and is co-host of the popular podcasts “So you want to be a writer” and “So you want to be a photographer”. Valerie also mentors business owners in writing business books and runs courses in storytelling for businesses.
In this episode we discuss
- writing morning pages every day to help unlock your creativity
- founding the Australian Writers’ Centre and celebrating ten years
- starting life as an accountant and why Valerie founded a writers’ centre
- a love of writing
- tips for people who want to start a business
- staying focused so you can achieve your dreams
- self-publishing vs traditional publishing – and why it’s different for fiction and non-fiction books
- pitching your book over twitter
- do you really need an agent?
- using deadlines to stay focused
- the benefit of rewards
- changing locations to work – and how this can increase your focus
- overcoming writer’s block
- coming up with content ideas
- the benefits of outsourcing
- why Valerie loves her Mastermind group
- the difference between a mentor, a coach and a Mastermind group
- clearing clutter – mental, physical, emotional