In this episode we interview Spencer Howson.
Spencer Howson presents the breakfast show on ABC612, the local ABC radio station in Brisbane, Australia. He’s been with the ABC since 1993, working in Rockhampton and Brisbane. He’s broadcast from ABC studios and remote locations all over Queensland and has a particular fondness for the outback. He also has a passion for the next generation of radio broadcasters, talent-spotting in university journalism classes and welcoming as interns in his team. The 612 ABC Brisbane breakfast program is currently #1 in Brisbane (he’s been #1 in forty surveys since first achieving top spot at the end of 2006).
You can listen to Spencer on ABC612 Brisbane or online.
In this episode we discuss:
- breakfast radio and getting up at 3.30am every day
- Spencer’s daily routine – with a lot of focus on when he eats!
- the ratings and being #1 in forty surveys
- the “glamorous” side of radio
- finding stories for his breakfast radio show
- reading hard copy newspapers vs online
- what Spencer loves about working for the ABC
- what Spencer loves most about working in radio
- what Spencer thinks about the latest James Bond theme song
- how do you conceptualise one million – and the bread tag story
- Spencer’s favourite guests – and who he would love to interview one day
- winning the number one breakfast spot in forty surveys – and what it’s like when he doesn’t
- the daily post-show chat to discuss the good and bad of the show and how it can be improved
- on becoming an Australian citizen and Spencer’s new Aussie nicknames
- being an umbraphile and witnessing eclipses
- compartmentalising vs multi-tasking
- has twitter jumped the shark?
Resources discussed in the show